Monday, October 8, 2018

4th Grade: Lesson 1 - ¿Dónde está España?

This year, both kindergarten and fourth grade students are learning about Spain.  In this post, I describe the first culture lesson I teach to fourth grade students.

Lesson 1: ¿Dónde está España?
I play the following video as students are entering the classroom.  It's a great introduction to some of the most iconic elements of Spanish culture:
At the end of the video, I tell my students that we are going to spend the entire school year studying Spain.  I write ¿Dónde está España? on the board.  I then open Google Maps and we do the following:
  • We find our school on Google Maps.
  • We zoom out on the map to see our city.
  • We zoom out again to see our state.
  • We zoom out again to see our country.
  • I slowly move the map so we can see both our country and Spain.  
I ask my students to name the capital of Spain.  Most of my students previously studied Spain in kindergarten, so they know that the capital is Madrid.  We then use Google Maps to calculate the distance between our city and Madrid.

After this, we take a Google Streetview tour of Madrid.  Note: Preview Google Streetview before showing it to your students to make sure all of the images are appropriate for your students.  This includes the Streetview images linked from this blog, as images can change.  I usually show my students 3-4 iconic places in Madrid, such as:

After a quick brain break, I show my students a presentation about Spain.  (You can find the presentation in the linked folder on my Google Drive.)  I then give students a worksheet to review what we have learned.  I also give them a map of Europe with instructions to find Spain, color it in, and label it.  If they have extra time when they finish, they can do the following: 1) Color and label Portugal.  2) Color and label France.  3) Put a circle around the Iberian Peninsula.  4) Color the oceans around Europe blue.

We add the worksheet and the map of Europe to our Spain portfolio, which students take home at the end of the school year.

Download files at your own risk.

1 comment:

  1. You are the best! Thank you for sharing these lessons. They are a terrific model for teaching other languages and countries.

    ReplyDelete